Wednesday, 5 February 2014

Kelantan leave it late

Kelantan leave it late

FA CUP: Shakir's stoppage time strike sinks Sabah
SHAKIR Ali scored a dramatic stoppage time goal as defending champions Kelantan cruised into the FA Cup quarter-finals with 10-man PKNS and Premier League side Felda United following suit after battling past their  opponents in the second round yesterday.
Kelantan were given a torrid time by Sabah before edging their Premier League rivals 2-1 in Kota Baru.
Former Egypt international Mohamed Shawky Yazid opened accounts for Kelantan in the 45th minute only for Sabah captain Rosdin Wasli to level proceedings from close range in the 56th minute.
With one minute left in stoppage time, Shakir netted following a fumble by Sabah goalkeeper Irwan Jamil to help Kelantan reach the two-leg quarter-finals.
The east coast side will face PKNS, who edged Terengganu 2-1 at Paroi Stadium yesterday.
Patrick Wleh scored his third goal of the season for PKNS when he volleyed past goalkeeper Sharbinee Allawee in the 37th minute but Terengganu equalised through captain Ismail Faruqi in the 49th minute.
PKNS coach was forced to reshuffle after winger Ghani Rahman was red-carded in the 56th minute and it paid dividends with Karlo Primorac netting a second goal 11 minutes from time. It will be their first appearance in the quarter-finals since 2004.
Liberian Zah Rahan Kranger's spectacular long range goal earned Felda a 1-0 win over Sime Darby at Selayang Stadium to set-up a quarter-final clash with Sarawak, who upset Selangor 1-0 at Petaling Jaya Stadium.
Felda coach Irfan Bakti said: "We were lucky as Sime Darby were without five regulars. We were slightly complacent at times but won through Zah Rahan's beautiful goal."
Winger Zamri Morshidi headed home a long throw from captain Ronny Harun in the 32nd minute to earn 10-man Sarawak only their second win over Selangor in seven years.
Sarawak goalkeeper Sani Anuar Kamsani was sent-off in the 62nd minute for a professional foul on Fitri Shazwan.
"In football, we need luck. It was difficult on this bumpy pitch but we did enough to win and enter the quarter-finals. I need to see the video whether Sani's dismissal justified," said Sarawak coach Robert Alberts.
Police earned a morale-boosting 2-0 win over Penang Water Corporation (PBAPP) at City Stadium in Georgetown.
Chad Souza converted a penalty in the 66th minute before Bobby Gonzales added a second three minutes later. Police will take on Pahang for a place in the semi-finals.
"I am unhappy with my team's performance but satisfied with the result. We will not go far if we continue to play badly.
"If we do not improve soon, Pahang will convincingly beat us," said Police coach Dollah Salleh.
Premier League side Kedah hammered Perlis 4-0 to set-up a quarter-final clash with either Darul Ta'zim or T-Team.
Billy Mehmet (44th), Adam Griffiths (53rd), Baddrol Bakhtiar (63rd) and Khyril Muhymeen (90th) scored for Kedah.
The quarter-final first leg is scheduled on Feb 11 followed by the return leg on Feb 18.

Read more: New Straits Times 


Post a Comment